What is a Software Product Manager?
Product managers provide business direction for the product, and make sure the dev and engineering teams deliver on product's requirements and roadmap.
A product manager defines:
- what the product is
- why the product is being built
- when the engineering team will build it
Product managers also:
- provide a roadmap for their product (so everyone on the team has direction)
- perform competitive research (so we know that our product is competitive)
- identify opportunities (because we know the technical side of our product AND the market we're competing in)
- provide strategy and go-to-market planning (because someone needs to buy this product, or we're out of business)
Resources for Product Managers:
The best online classes for software product management:
- University of Alberta's Specialization in Software Product Management via Coursera
- Udacity's course in Product Design by Google
- Boston University's MicroMasters Program in Digital Product Management via edX